- 17-May-2013 BMT WBM Enhances Flood Modelling Portfolio with Flike more
- 15-May-2013 BMT Wins G-Cloud Framework with the UK Government Procurement Service more
- 09-May-2013 Defence Industry to Benefit from BMTís Submarine Design and Engineering Course more
- 03-May-2013 Andy Brown Joins BMT as VP of Business Development more
- 02-May-2013 BMT Restructures Marine Survey Businesses more
- 02-May-2013 Saipem Selects BMT for Riser Monitoring in Brazilís Pre-Salt Fields more
- 29-Apr-2013 BMT Secures Key Management Consultancy Frameworks with the UK Government Procurement Service more
- 29-Apr-2013 BMT to Exhibit at OTC in Houston, Texas more
The Materials Technology Centre provides contract research and development, problem solving and engineering services to clients in the civil/imdustrial, defence, energy, marine and transport sectors.
Metallurgical FacilitiesBMT's metallurgical laboratory facilities include:
- optical microscopes and stereoscope;
- Hitachi scanning electron microscope;
- micro and macrograph preparation and analysis facilities;
- Vickers and Rockwell hardness machines;
- weld hydrogen content and effusion rate test equipment;
- magnetic particle and dye penetrant inspection equipment;
- Panametrics EPOCH III ultrasonic flaw detector;
- sand blasting bench; and
- Microscibe 3D digitizing arm for surface profiling.
BMT can also arrange preferential access to x-ray inspections and chemical analysis equipment.
Welding and Fabrication Facilities
Welding and fabrication equipment includes, among a wide range of welding fixtures and jigs:
- automatic oxy fuel and plasma cutting equipment;
- Miller Industion Heating System;
- fully equipped welding facility for SMAW, GTAW, P-GTAW, GMAW, STT-GMAW, P-GMAW, FCAW, MCAW and SAW;
- Fronius TransArc 500;
- Lincoln Powerwave 450;
- Lincoln Powerwave 455/STT;
- Miller Summitt Arc 1000 – Variable Balance AC Tandem Welding System;
- ESAB Aristo Tandem GMAW System;
- Miller Axcess 450 / RMD;
- welding parameter high speed data acquisition system;
- thermal history and data collection;
- four (4) component gas mixer to accurately establish specific welding gases
compositions,including Argon, Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Helium, and Hydrogen;
- instrumented, variable heat sink welding flow loop for in-service pipe welding, capable of circulating water or air (mist);
- calibrated welding fume particulate measurement and fume constituents analysis facility;
- high temperature electric furnace accommodating material up to 600 x 600 mm in size;
- Induma 2045 horizontal universal milling machine;
- Lagun FCM-20W horizontal universal milling machine;
- Colchester Master 2500 lathe;
- Harrison m 300;
- Kent Automated Feed Magnetic Chuck;
- drill press NIDER;
- 3-ton overhead crane, 2-ton forklift;
- belt and disc grinder; and
- cutting and machining tools.
BMT maintains close ties with welding equipment manufacturers and suppliers and can arrange for loans of a wide range of welding and induction heating equipment. These suppliers have demonstrated a readiness to contribute welding consumables and base materials in support of BMT research programs.
Mechanical Testing Facilities
The mechanical test lab contains test frames for monotonic axial or flexural load tests as well as fatigue, fracture (CTOD, J-R, CTOA) and Charpy impact testing in environmentally controlled conditions (low temperature). Facilities include:
- a granite table;
- 900KN (200 kips) horizontal servo-hydraulic test machine;
- 1360KN (300 kips) Baldwin universal tensile testing machine for tension, compression and fracture toughness testing;
- 640KN (150 kips), 250KN (50 kips), 100KN (20 kips) and 25KN (5 kips) load cells for use on two servo-hydraulic test frames for fatigue, fracture toughness, and crack arrest materials testing;
- a range of thermally isolated, pin connection, and servo hydraulic test grips and fixtures;
- CVN testing machine (400J capacity) and broaching equipment;
- programmable servo hydraulic control systems with standardized test protocols;
- direct and alternating current potential drop systems for lab or field crack growth monitoring;
- automated signal conditioning and data acquisition equipment;and
- calibrated load cells, data acquisition equipment for field instrumentation programs.
In addition, BMT cooperatively developed and maintains instrumented Charpy and Drop Weight equipment as well as having access to additional servo-hydraulic test frames at other facilities.
Click here for more information on Materials Engineering.
For further information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +1 613 592 2830.